Friday, November 02, 2012

October Book Review

This was the long awaited sequel to The Fall of Giants. I actually liked this book more than the first one which is unusual. This takes places during WW2 with the offspring of the main characters from the first book. A few twists, turns and surprises. It was really hard to read the violent parts, but was a good read. He's such a good author and I always enjoy his historical fiction novels. Can't wait for the 3rd one, but it won't come out until late 2014. 


Hilarious. I loved this book. It's a fake memoir about a rich girl from Beverly Hills. She's like an honest Kardashian. So over-the-top, but I loved it. Not for everyone though, you must enjoy satire and fashion.


I loved/hated this book. I really like reading about Bhutan which sounds like an amazing place. She's not a great writer and it's one of those books where I'm like, hey, I could write a book. Some of the chapters are good stories about the Bhutanese, but some are just her random thoughts on life kinda like a blog. She talks a lot about finding happiness in life and how most Americans are just comfortable and probably fat and not really happy. She moves to Bhutan and finds her happiness in a simpler lifestyle. The part that she leaves out of the book is that she was 40 years old (mid-life crisis?) when she moved there, stopped smoking, lost 30 lbs and finally found a man who wanted to marry her. She completely leaves all of this out of the book. I think most people would find happiness when they get healthy and find love regardless of where they live. However, a great book about the culture of Bhutan as there are very few out there. I really want to visit this amazing country that doesn't have plastic bags and has a Gross National Happiness scale. 

This was a free download on my kindle. Gotta love free books! Not bad, it's a Jane Austen-ish book about a girl who can't practice medicine as a woman and has 3 guys in love with her. Oh, and also her mother disappears when she's a girl so there's a little mystery to it. If you like that time period- late 1800s- then you'd like this. 

No comments: