Maybe because I took the day off (sick- cough cough) and I'm bored or maybe because I just inhaled 2 boxes of Nerds, Sudafed and 3 cups of coffee- I'm going to write another post. I've been reading a lot of books since I've been in Cairo for several reasons. The most obvious is because I don't have a tv, but also because I travel a lot. Travelling requires waiting around for a plane, train, bus, boat, taxi, etc. so it's good to have something to do to pass the time. I've also read a lot because most of my friends are avid readers here too- for the same reasons I mentioned. They are able to recommend good books since there's nothing worse than wasting your time reading a terrible book. So here are a few books I've read in the last couple months and would recommend. Don't worry, I won't ruin the ending or plot too much.
I'm a big fan of Jon Krauker(spelling?). I would recommend all of his books that I've read- "Under the Banner of Heaven" and "Into thin air". He does a great job with investigating the story and giving the facts while also writing an intriguing story. You've probably heard of this book and/or the movie which I later watched and also loved. It's the story of a guy who gives all of his things away, burns his money and goes to the Alaskan wilderness. It's not ruining the story by letting you know that he dies- it says it on the back cover. When I first heard about this guy I thought what an idiot he must have been, but the book gives more detail into his life and why he did what he did. 


These next 2 books are really long books. Both are about how "religion" ruins 2 families. I was surprised to find out that the author of "The Brothers K" is a christian because it is written as if the author is trying to make a point that organized religion is harmful. Really interesting. I liked the "Poisonwood Bible" more just because the plot went a little faster. I don't know anything about that author, but it does bring up important points to remember when people are missionaries to a foreign land. It's about a family from Georgia who goes to the Congo in Africa during the 60s as missionaries. I would assume the author hates missionaries, but maybe not. Definitely an interesting perspective on how people come into another culture and try to change it.

I'm a big fan of Jon Krauker(spelling?). I would recommend all of his books that I've read- "Under the Banner of Heaven" and "Into thin air". He does a great job with investigating the story and giving the facts while also writing an intriguing story. You've probably heard of this book and/or the movie which I later watched and also loved. It's the story of a guy who gives all of his things away, burns his money and goes to the Alaskan wilderness. It's not ruining the story by letting you know that he dies- it says it on the back cover. When I first heard about this guy I thought what an idiot he must have been, but the book gives more detail into his life and why he did what he did. 

Coming back from India, I was interested in their history. This book gives a good look at the modern history of India. I had no idea about any of it. Before you read this book, you should read "A Fine Balance". It is the "Kite Runner" of India. Amazing book but not a light read. Read that book and then read "In spite of the gods" which is a nonfiction account explaining the events that happen in "A Fine Balance".

These next 2 books are really long books. Both are about how "religion" ruins 2 families. I was surprised to find out that the author of "The Brothers K" is a christian because it is written as if the author is trying to make a point that organized religion is harmful. Really interesting. I liked the "Poisonwood Bible" more just because the plot went a little faster. I don't know anything about that author, but it does bring up important points to remember when people are missionaries to a foreign land. It's about a family from Georgia who goes to the Congo in Africa during the 60s as missionaries. I would assume the author hates missionaries, but maybe not. Definitely an interesting perspective on how people come into another culture and try to change it. 
I just finished this book. I really liked it. It's competely shocking and hard to read while sitting on the beach eating ice cream. It's unbelievable what some people have gone through and difficult to imagine living in a war.
1 comment:
I haven't checked your blog in forever, I just figured you hadn't updated still. and I was just about to make a reading rainbow book review blog, weirdddd
Post a Comment