Monday, June 28, 2010

Leaving Cairo- Airport Edition


The airport in Cairo is never without a little adventure or possible bribing of officials. Both of my checked bags were clearly overweight, but the local Egyptian woman who was working the counter for Air France really couldn't care less about that. However, the weight of one of my carryon bags seems to disturb her.


Her: This bag is too heavy.

Me: Well, could you bring back my checked bags and I'll put some some in it?

Her: No, they were both overweight.

Me: Hmm....well, what if I just take out some stuff from one carry on and put it in the other. (And before she can respond, I start doing this. Always act like you own the place- best tip for travelling in Egypt and no one will really question you)

Her: Ok, it's underweight now.


As soon as I get to the gate, I transfer everything back into the other carryon. Really doesn't make any sense, but I'm not going to start questioning Egypt now. One of the worst things about flying back to the states is that you have to claim your checked baggage right after immigration and recheck it for your final destination. This is very difficult to do when you have 4 bags with you and all of the bitches with their 1 suitcase have taken all of the pushcarts. Also, because it's a huge airport and everyone who is flying into the airport has to claim their luggage in just 1 carousal, makes for a lot of bag stacked on top of each other. As a very independent woman, I feel that I can do everything on my own. I saw my bag underneath 3 other bags so naturally I jump on the carousal and as it's taking me around I dig through the bags, grab mine, and leap off of the moving carousal almost breaking my leg. There also may have been a few F bombs dropped in the process. As I'm panting and recovering, this elderly gentleman next to me says, "Why, ma'am I can help you with your next bag.....unless you think I'm being sexist...." in a thick Georgian accent. I'm sure I looked like I was a do-it-herself kinda girl who would be offended by chivalry. Not at all, I let him get my other bag for me. Then I dragged and kicked all of the luggage to the checkin counter. I was sweating profusely by the time I got there to say the least.


As I was headed home on the last flight of my 20 hour journey, the culture shock sets in. The flight attendants seemed to think they were the lead entertainers on a Disney cruise with their jokes and theatrics with the announcements. No need to entertain us- we're on an hour flight. As I was reading SkyMall, and trying to justify purchasing an underwater pogostick, I realized how Americans are completely attacked by consumerism. It's everywhere-even on the plane. There's just so much stuff to buy and so little time to have it all. Fighting against the consumerism and materialism is my goal while I'm here. Although I'm sure I've already failed this as I can't wait to go shopping for new summer clothes and already have my new Blackberry set up.

No comments: