
That's crazy talk, right? No way. It's just facts. I feel like I can officially say this now. I've been back stateside for almost a week and have already lost 5 lbs and I'm sitting here eating a bowl of cereal with chunks of chocolate in it. (Yes, that's what fat people do) Everyone I knew in Egypt struggled with their weight. Guys and gals. It was just a normal part of life there- gaining weight and not being able to lose it.
So why does Egypt make you fat? Oh, I will tell you.
There's nothing to do to stay physically active except for the gym. You can't just go for a quick run. You will be chased by creepy men and stray dogs. You can't even go for a walk for the same reasons. Most likely walking you will be grabbed or groped as I had the lovely experience of screaming at men and boys who do this. The gym is more stressful than it's worth. The meatheads on roids who walk around the gym get in the way of actually accomplishing anything. One day I realized how hot it was at the gym. I actually had to ask the manager to turn on the AC. We are in the middle of the desert, people!! No one does anything more than walking slowly on the treadmill. The only people who are running or sweating are us whiteys. So it's annoying that they occupy all of the cardio machines. Don't get me started on the dressing room as it's a free-for-all. There are attendants in there who do nothing except randomly decide to get out their prayer rugs and pray. I'm all for religious tolerance, but when there is only a 3' by 3' area to access my locker and you are your yoga/prayer time is occupying that entire space, then your praying is now getting on my nerves. Why do they have to do it there? Because the Egyptian mindset is not thoughtful of others. You just do whatever you want, whenever you want. Plus you have to show everyone how religious you are. Like I said, the gym would stress me out.
The food is always soaked in butter before it's cooked. I would get so sick sometimes from eating out just because of the fat added. You can forget about eating anything fresh like salads because you are just asking for some food poisoning. Why eat out so much? Well, because it's sooo cheap and after a long day at work and the gym, the last thing you want to do is cook. It's also great socializing. I absolutely love my friends in Cairo and we have such good times together. But there's nothing for us to do except go to the bar and/or eat out. Mucho drinking took place as well. I should say moderate drinking each day. Just drinking everyday. You can't drink too much alcohol at once or you'll get a major hangover. Not only are the local spirits terrible, but they have so many preservatives that they give terrible headaches. Being in the desert dehydrates you more than usual too. If I wanted to have 1 beer after work, I would need to be sure to drink 3 liters of water during the day to curb the dehydration headache.
I'm sooo glad to be done with Egypt. I love it and I hated it. But very glad to move on to something else. When I tell people that I'm moving to Singapore and they have lived in SE Asia, all they can say is "That's great! It's sooo humid there! You'll love it! Oh, you'll love to food! You'll lose so much weight!" I'm very excited. It seems that there is great food from India and Thailand which are my 2 faves. Maybe one day I'll be writing a post on why Singapore made me skinny.
No comments:
Post a Comment