Saturday, February 05, 2011

Koh Phi Phi





I've had a great time in Thailand this time around. Just such an easy place to be. Great food, chilled out atmosphere. The beaches we have been to are really different than the ones before. Krabi and Koh Phi Phi are better for rock climbing as you can see from the pics. The beaches themselves aren't the most beautiful in Thailand. I liked the beaches in Koh Phanangan better, but I'm a beach snob so what do I know? Monkeys are just everywhere. They are the same kind of monkeys we see in Singapore, but these monkeys are much more accostomed to people and come right up to you to grab whatever you're holding. The food has been really good. Koh Phi Phi or Koh Pee Pee as some of the misprinted postcards suggest, is a very small island with no motorized vehicles. Which sounds rustic and awesome, but it's completely full of tourists. I met these 2 girls from South Carolina and it was their first time to travel abroad(other than a few countries in Europe) and it was funny to see their enthusiasm. "There's so much culture here!" "We met these 2 guys, they're American so get along well, and they like the same things we do! How crazy is that?" Ha, really? Obviously those guys will say anything to get you to hook up with them. That's how traveling as a backpacker works. Also, this island has absolutely no local culture. There was nothing on the island that was made or sold for locals. Completely made for tourists who think Thai culture is wooden jewelry, floral sarongs, and cheap pad thai. Not that I'm complaining- it's the easiest place to travel in the world. But I'm over the "Disney World" feel to it. Next time we go to a beach, we want to find a more rural and remote beach. Some where off the beaten track. Again, NOT complaining about my spoiled lifestyle. Just ready for some adventure...

No comments: