Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Why Americans don't travel abroad.






I just read this article and totally agree!! I can't believe only 30% of Americans have passports! There are so many amazing places to see in the world. Each of the reasons given are totally valid and I completely agree with each one. I have some friends who have talked about coming to visit the States and they just can't believe how big it is and how much there is to see.

"Tourism experts and avid travelers attribute Americans' lack of interest in international travel to a few key factors, including: the United States' own rich cultural and geographic diversity, an American skepticism and/or ignorance about international destinations, a work culture that prevents Americans from taking long vacations abroad and the prohibitive cost and logistics of going overseas."

It's a good article that outlines each of these reasons. I think sometimes the US media always paints a picture of foreign countries as being below American standard of living and also creates a fear for travel with scary stories of travel that rarely happen. Whenever I read articles on the States, it scares me to go back. It seems like every day there is some crazy person who goes on a shooting rampage or someone being abducted from a Target parking lot during the day. How many random murders are there in a day? It seems like a scary place and if I didn't know any better I wouldn't want to visit.

No comments: