Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Turkey Day.



I think sometime in October, I'd been asked by some Kiwi friends about Thanksgiving. Is this a real thing we Americans do are is it just in the movies? Oh no, it's all real. Yes, there's a real turkey, dressing/stuffing (had to explain what this was), and oh yes, pumpkin pie. I decided
right then that we needed to have a proper Thanksgiving dinner if not for ourselves, for them to experience this! I explained that it's very traditional that we all hold hands around the dinner table and share what we are thankful for. I might have exaggerated just a tiny bit and added that we all dress like pilgrims and Indians(feather not dot) and have a thanksgiving play. That's just part of the tradition. Our awesome local butcher agreed to not only provide the turkey but cook it for us since we'd be working all day. We made stuffing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, spinach artichoke dip, mashed taters, gravy and even pumpkin pie. Before dinner, we watched some foosball whilst having appetizers and wine. After dinner, we played a competitive game of charades- the teams were decided by the hats we were wearing- Indians vs. Pilgrims. Then we performed our Thanksgiving play complete with characters named Constance and Chief Big Horn. Everyone got into it and had a great time. We ended up having a Cairo rooftop style dance party until 3am. Great times had by all.

The winning team! Go Indians!

The play. Everyone really got into it.

No comments: