Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Girl Who Set Her Wedding Dress on Fire.

Accidentally, of course. The Wedding Dress Saga continues. To make a long story short, well, who needs to make it short? I've got all day to write this. The dress has already been to more countries than most people have in their lifetime. We get it all the way to Canada to end up torching it. Apparently, silk is very flammable, in case you were unaware of this little known fact. We hung it up in the cabin and it happened to be leaning up against a lamp. (The most common question, I've gotten about this story is "What kind of lamp was it?" My response: The kind that makes fire? I have no idea, it's a hot lamp, the dress is silk, yada yada the dress caught fire and melted). We came back from a few drinks at Miss Tweedle's place. (By the way, I saw your apartment's renovation in that magazine article, how cool is that?!) So we came home, brushed our teeth, I turned on a reading lamp wondering why there wasn't enough light in the room. What is covering the light? Oh, that damn dress, and I push it out of the way. As soon as I touched the dress, I knew. That would also explain the burning smell. At first I couldn't even breathe or touch it. I flipped the dress over and threw it on the bed and just stared at it. I ran to get O and he thought I had seen a bear (That's a real thing here in Canada). I had lost all ability to talk and just mimed what had happened. O calmed me down and reminded me that "it's just a thing" which didn't help and "we can afford a new one" which made me feel better. We call Miss Tweedle, since she knows everything "wedding" and I put the dress on to see how bad it is. It's bad. It's scorched through 2 layers of the dress. Feeling panicked, we ran through ideas of what to do. We were assured that it could be fixed. Needing another drink or 2 and the hot tub, we hang the dress in the garage. Out of sight, out of mind. The next day, we ran through names of seamstresses in town. Finding my fairy godmother, she was able to cut the piece out and gather it, move the lace on top and sew it all up in 2 days with the help of tiny mice and magic. Now you would never know where it is, and I'm not going to tell you or that's where you'll be looking in all the photos. Also, she made me promise to NOT point it out at the wedding or then people will notice and I will turn into a pumpkin. 

We've just got to keep this dress safe for 22 more days. Still quite a bit more to go, 1 more plane ride, dry cleaned and transported through 2 more houses. Fingers crossed. 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

i won't be wearing it now, just so you know.