Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Raised By Wolves

Raised By Wolves is a first grader who was sent to my room on Monday. When you first meet this child, you think she is very cute and sweet. That will last about 35 seconds and then she'll do some bizarre thing. She was in my room about 2 minutes sitting on the carpet with my class as we are sharing our journal writing. I explain to her that I expect her to be a big girl and sit on the floor and just watch everyone else and do what they are doing. After about 15 minutes, for no apparent reason, she gets up , walks over to the gerbil's cage, opens it, and proceeds to stick her arm in to grab the gerbil. Whaaaaat?? No! Stop! What are u thinking?? As we do work, I give her a coloring book so she can do her work. Randomly, she would scream or throw her hands on the desk to make a loud noise. My kids just stare and mutter 'freeeak.' under their breath. After about an hour of her, I was certain that she must be possessed. But then when we watched a video about context clues, she cuddles up in my lap showing signs of being human. Doesn't last long. At one point, she ran out of the room and down to the first grade hallway to get her lunch card. (not lunch time at all) I bring her back into my room and she starts stamping her arm with my stamps before I could grab her. I'm really glad I wore jeans and tshirt that day because all I did was chase this animal. All day I just kept thinking, "did that just happen?" My kids were really great about it. I had the girls show her how to stand in line, how to wash her hands, how to tuck in her shirt, how to tie her shoes, etc. I have always seen Raised By Wolves in the hallway, but to have her in the classroom was much more exciting. It was like a Choose your own Adventure for her. All day.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think I have 3 of those in my class this year.

Alyssa said...

Wow! It sounds like you had loads of fun that day.

Mrs. Klink said...

i refer to mine as "feral cats".