Thursday, December 25, 2008

Culture Shock: A day in the life of being in America

I'm here in the States!! (Finally after a long flight to NYC and then the delay of the snow storm.) I think I'm having a little culture shock. Here are the things I'm having trouble adjusting to:

1. Clothing/Fashion: I couldn't believe what girls MY AGE were wearing at the airport. Leggings! Just leggings!! No pants!! And the high-heeled boots just looked ridiculous. When did hooker/chic come into style?

2. Public restrooms: I think I went in 12 times to the JFK bathroom. There were a couple times I just went in to flush the toilet and look at the toilet paper. I even stole some just out of habit.

3. Driving the first day was insane. I kept going waaay over the speed limit. I didn't realized how fast they drive in Egypt! Reba says that I am a waaay more aggressive driver now. Why does everyone stay in lanes and drive slow?

4. Target: I had to restrain myself. It was over-stimulation. I wanted to buy everything. Instead I only purchased 3 deodorants, unnecessary cute shoes, and a sweater. Oh! And this really nice lady gave me a coupon for free underwear! I love America!! But then someone stole my basket and the coupon. What is America coming to? Are we stealing coupons now to deal with the recession?

5. The Mall: OMG. I actually like the clothing they sell. And EVERYTHING is on sale!!! I only purchased VS undies b/c I had a $10 off coupon. We're going to the outlets on Friday to hit those after Christmas sales. It's a little weird adjusting to prices. Also, weird that no one was pushing. I actually stood in line and no one elbowed me to get ahead of me in line. We just waited our turn.

6. Tivo. Greatest gift to mankind.

7. Crackerbarrel. Can you order one of everything on the menu? You can try. Our waitress actually wrote down our order. And she could understand what I said. And she refilled my drinks without me asking. And the food arrived only 10 minutes after we ordered!! And when she brought the check without us asking, I almost fell out of my seat! Our dinner lasted less an hour!! Madness!!

8. "Can I see your driver's license?" When I heard this question, I thought..."Do I have a driver's license? Where is that thing?" No, I wasn't being pulled over.

9. Running. I can run outside. And breathe!! My lungs are so happy right now.

10. Walmart. Ok, this was alot like being back at the Khan in Cairo. Did you know someone DIED in Walmart during a stampede a few weeks ago?? That sounds like something that would happen in Egypt. Walmart is alot like being in a 3rd world country. But I didn't get any "weeeelcome! pretty lady! How much for you?" Oh wait, yes I did. Just from a different ethnic group.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hope you have a good visit home!

suzanne said...

I updated....your turn!!