Monday, July 05, 2010

more culture shock

This morning I was asking my dad about the scanner. Our conversation went like this:

Dad: What do you need to use the scanner for?

Me: To scan my passport and email it.

Dad: What?! You shouldn't do that, you need to be careful about identify theft.

Me: What....? How is someone going to steal my identity through an email?

Dad: Well, may I ask who you are sending it to.

Me: My boss in Singapore for my work visa.

Dad: Ohhhhhhh.... Well, that should be fine.

He thought I was just going to scan it and send all my info to some scam online? I may have been out of the country for the past 2 years, but I'm not an idiot. It's funny how there are all these commericals about identity theft, making sure your baby doesn't die from whooping cough, all the diseases you could die from, etc. And the shows are all about how people just snap and kill everyone in their family for no reason. Wow. I feel like I should be afraid to leave the house. It's so similiar to the book, 1984, where the people live in fear of things that probably won't happen to them. Just this past year while driving to work each day in Cairo, I saw 7 dead bodies on the side of the road. Just from crossing the road. It's not unusual to see an entire family riding on a motor bike with the mom carrying a newborn. Obviously without helmets. You know it will only take a bump to kill them all. It's so extreme to see absolutely no safety measures to the extreme American fear of everything. Part of me wants to laugh at the idea of identity theft being the worst thing to happen in your life, but I guess that would really suck if someone stole your credit and stuff. I get it, but it just seems like we have it sooo good here. It's weird how the cops just sit and wait for someone to speed just a little. I hate driving in fear of going slightly over the speed limit. It's a really big change from just doing whatever the hell you want in Cairo.

No comments: