1. I don't need as much personal space as I think I do.
I was running this morning on the sidewalk and a lady and her dog approached me. They move off of the sidewalk and into the street so that we can pass each other. My thought was geez, there's plenty of space.... This happened 3 more times with various people passing me. In Cairo (and most of the world) people are very close to each other. Physically close. When I would ride the metro and be the only person in the car, a woman would come and sit right next to me- practically on top of me. Why? They feel more comfortable being close to someone. I still need my personal space and sometimes it would bother me when people violate this, but I have come to realize that I don't need as much as I thought.
2. I don't need as much technology as I think I do.
In Egypt, I had a cellphone whose most advanced feature was the calculator. Nothing about it bothered me. I liked that I couldn't check my email every 2 seconds. I'm back in the states for a few weeks and here I am with a Crackberry that I'm already addicted to. I didn't have a tv the past 2 years and learned that not only can I live without it, but I don't even want one. It's very liberating to not have nonsense to distract you all the time. It forces you to sit down and really talk to people. I got to know my friends in Cairo better than I've ever gotten to know anyone.
3. Americans do not have a good reputation.
Sorry y'all, but it's true. When I would meet people while traveling and it would come up that I was American (which is something you want to hide as long as you can) they would get awkward and say something like "We love Obama!" or "Wow, you don't seem like an American, you're so easy going!" or "No, I don't hate Americans.....there was one time I met an American who was really cool...." Americans who travel are typically the biggest a-holes you've ever met. They are super high maintenance and worried about every little thing so they tend to have public meltdowns. When you see or meet English-speaking peeps, you can immediately tell where they are from before you get a chance to recognize their accents. Aussies are always the loud ones trying to get in fights. Kiwis are the same-less intense. The brits are the ones who are badly sunburned, wearing sock with sandals, and already loudly drunk before noon. The obnoxious young backpackers(18-25) are just trying to hook up and party hard. They care nothing about the culture or the people and are just looking for a good time. The Canadians are the ones that are super friendly and apologize for everything. Everyone loves Canadians. I've noticed that while travelling a lot of non-Canadians, especially Americans, have been putting the Canadian flag on their bags so people will think they are Canadian. Smart move.
4. Obama is the best thing that could happen to America.
I don't know about how he's doing as far as running the country. But as far as an international perspective, America NEEDED someone like Obama if we want to be supported by other countries. His reputation abroad is amazing and everyone loves him.
5. I like experiencing new cultures.
I haven't experienced the culture in each country that I've been to, but I like it more when I try to do so. I love how different everything is from the food, the language, the mannerisms, what pisses people off, etc. It's great learning about other people because ultimately I learn more about myself. 6. I do not have the American Dream.
I do not want to live in a suburb with a house, fenced-in yard, dog, and little white kids. There's nothing about that that sounds appealing to me. I would one day like to get married, en shallah (God willing) and have kids. I really really want to adopt kids. I want my kids to be bilingual and live in a culture that is very diverse. I want to have friends from different countries who are nothing like me. I don't want to be consumed in materialism and owning too much stuff. I am an expat and don't regret it.
7. I would like to never own a car again.
That sounds really random, but it's sooo much easier to walk, bike, or take the metro everywhere. A car is so much trouble. You have to worry about gas, oil changes, insurance, etc. I guess that means I'm going to keep living somewhere that doesn't require a car.
8. I love beaches.
This is always my fave place to vacay. There's something sooo relaxing about laying on the beach, reading a book, chillin with friends, possibly with a drink.....
9. I own too much stuff. And I hate it.
This kinda goes back to what I was saying before. When you see poverty on a daily basis you realize that you are sooo privileged and you just don't feel the need to spend money on new shoes or anything that seems excessive. Don't get me wrong, I like to shop and get new stuff. But I have to get rid of stuff when I get new stuff. This also goes with moving overseas. It's like the old saying. "You just can't take it with you." And it makes sense. Why keep stuff that I'm not going to use when someone else less fortunate might use it or even need it.
10. I like to travel.
Ok, that seems pretty obvious. I didn't realize how much I liked doing this until I was travelling every few weeks. I'm pretty sure that 2 years ago, I'd never heard of some of the places I went to- Tunisia, Bahrain, etc. I love it and hope I can keep travelling for many more years. 

No comments:
Post a Comment