When we lived in Cairo, we made a deal our 2nd year to leave every 3 weeks. In Singapore, there's not really a ''need'' to get out of the city. However, it's still nice to just get away from everything. I think my first experience with Thailand was so perfect that every other trip is always going to be less than that. When we first went to Thailand in 2009, we went to a tiny, almost-deserted island off Phuket where there was no electricity and the beaches were just untouched. Gorgeous white sand beaches, clear blue water, cold cheap beer- just the way you picture Thailand. Then we went to the other side to meet up with friends and went to the party area. We stayed on a really quiet side of the island but went over to the craziness for a full-moon party and had an amazing time. No bad stories, no one was hurt or lost, nothing was stolen- just a perfect trip. Now that it's not a big deal to just fly to Thailand for the weekend, I'm a total beach snob. Thailand just feels like Florida or Mexico, just a place where everyone goes- it's very Disneylandish compared to a lot of other places I've been. It's just so easy. But with that being said, as soon as we arrived, I was instantly relaxed. Thailand is so comfortable and I forgot how much I love it. I just love it. It's not adventurous anymore, but it's almost more of a sense of comfort and home. Ok, blah blah blah, what did we do? We only lasted about 14 hours at the resort, it's just not our scene. We did the spa thing there and had good/overpriced food and drinks. We broke out of the resort and walked through this small river to the nearest village. Grabbed a few beers from the local 7-11 and had a foot massage with 2 ladyboys. (Just to show the difference in prices- an hour massage at the spa was 2,000 baht and the hour foot massage at a local place was 300 baht.) Then we walked along the beach, grabbed a beer and sat and watched the sunset. Had a great thai dinner at a local place on the beach. Later we walked back across that "little" river and because the tide came up, it was almost up to my neck- ha! We spent the next day by the pool which was pretty awesome- even had a lazy river that went through the resort and each room had a swim-in deck. It was a really relaxing bday weekend.
Sunset!
The tide was waaaay out.
Ha, I love it.


No comments:
Post a Comment