Friday, July 05, 2013

Ways to induce labor


So it's that time of the pregnancy where you are just ready to have a baby. Inducing labor without medication is definitely the way I want to go, as does our doctor. She doesn't want to have to induce labor unless I'm at least 10 days over my due date. Here are some things I've heard and read about. Nothing is really proven, but I'm trying it all. 
  • eating spicy food- This is supposed to work like castor oil. Allegedly, it may stimulate your tummy and therefore stimulate your uterus into action. 
  • sex- sex releases prostaglandins, hormone-like substances that are like the medications used to induce labor.
  • reflexology and acupressure- I don't think this works. I'm obsessed with foot massages and have been going throughout my pregnancy. I now go about twice a week and nothing. Here's what I found about it: The first area on the body used for stimulating labor is located between the thumb and index finger. This point is actually the “webbing” between these two areas. Techniques vary, but this pressure point can be pressed and rubbed for several seconds or simply pressed firmly for approximately one minute and then released. This technique can also be used during active labor to relieve pain.The next area of the body used for stimulating labor is the ankle. This area actually has two different pressure points. The first pressure point is located on the outside of the ankle, just behind where the bony prominence is. Just like the first mentioned location, techniques vary but the pressure point can be rubbed or pressed for several seconds or one minute. The other ankle pressure point is inside the leg, above the ankle. This area may be difficult to find but it is more sensitive to touch than the rest of the leg. Another area is located on the back, above the buttocks and lower back. This area can also be pressed or massaged as tolerated. The final area commonly used for initiating labor is located on the neck, the large muscle between the neck and the shoulder. This area can be pressed or massaged as tolerated.
  • nipple stimulation- Stimulating your nipples can help release natural oxytocin hormones thus causing the uterus to contract.
  • drinking red raspberry leaf tea-  I have this in tablet form so it's easier to take. It is said to help tone the cervix and strengthen our entire pelvic region. Raspberry Leaf Tea may not help induce labor directly, but it should play a key part in your overall birth plan. It is full of vitamins and minerals that are essential to the health of your uterus. 
  • walking a lot, especially up stairs- This was the only thing that was recommended by our doctor. She said stay very active and that will help induce labor. I do have to say that on the days where I walk more, I do have more contractions. Not the real contractions though. 
  • drink a beer- I have no idea. I think my friend just made this one up. I'm going to have one on the due date. 
  • acupuncture- I have an appointment on Monday with this really old Chinese man who says he can induce labor. There's a girl I know who went to him and then went into labor the next day. Here's what science says: One small study at the University of North Carolina found that women who got acupuncture were more likely to go into labor without a medical "push."The study included 56 women who were 39.5 to 41 weeks pregnant. (Forty weeks is full term.) Half of the women got three acupuncture sessions, while the other half did not. 70% of the women who got acupuncture went into labor on their own, compared to 50% who received standard care. The women who got acupuncture were also less likely to deliver by cesarean section -- 39% compared to 17%.
  • Eat an entire pineapple- an old Asian wives tale- Tropical fruits like pineapple, mango and papaya contain a proteolytic enzyme called bromelain. This enzyme is said to help soften the cervix, stimulate muscle contractions, and for shortening labor. Eating large amount of fresh pineapple can also kick start your digestive system, which is also said to be a way to kick start labor.
  • Blowing up balloons: the theory is that the build up of abdominal pressure encourages labour to start.

    No comments: