Sunday, May 29, 2011


Jen posted this article. It's about living as an expat. Most of these are so true. Here is the list with my 2 cents added...

1. You get cravings for silly things like Heinz ketchup and Hershey bars. - Did you know that America is the ONLY place on earth that makes REAL ketchup!? Also, you know those packs of pre-made cookie dough- yeah, you're not going to find them anywhere but the States.

2. You get grumpy about the very same things that initially drew you to your adopted home. Things irritate you like, why doesn't anyone understand me?? Why can't I find pre-made cookie dough?? Why do they laugh and tell me that it doesn't exist?

3. You often feel torn between two identities. I don't really know about this. But I do know that everyone I have met had a completely different childhood than me. Sometimes it's hard to explain things like why I put marshmellows on sweet potatoes and say y'all when referring to 1 person.

4. You’re friends with expats, but only those who arrived around the same time as you. I'm friends with many expats, but the closest are usually the ones you meet when you first arrived. You go through the same things at the same time so it bonds you.

5. You find newbies irritating. It's true, for some reason it's annoying to think I was that annoying.

6. You sometimes dream in a foreign language. Ummm, no. Considering I only learned enough 'survival Arabic' and English is spoken in Singapore...

7. You’ve attended weddings, birthday parties and baby showers….. on Skpye! We kinda had Christmas on skype and I showed my sisters their presents on skype.

8. Your old life seems gray. How did l live such a BO-RING life?

9. After many iterations, you’ve finally perfected the The Ultimate Guest Tour. Still working on this one... but with 11 guests in Singapore... it's almost perfect.

10. You pity those still stuck in corporate life. I feel bad for teachers back in the States who have to put up with so much crap and get such little pay.

11. Your friends have become your family. This is soooo true. Friendships are so much deeper and stronger than back in the States. You depend on them more.

12. You’ve eaten things you never dreamed you would. Stingray and monkey brain. Just kidding about monkey brain.

13. You get strangely defensive when someone (who doesn’t live there) criticizes your adopted home. This might have happened in Egypt. No one seems to criticize Singapore.

14. You wouldn’t be seen dead in the ‘expat bars’. Ummm no, I go there. I wouldn't be seen in a 'tourist' bar.

15. You’re a lot more adventurous than you used to be. I didn't think I would ever go camping in Africa for 6 weeks or try scuba diving.

16. When you fly back, nothing ever seems to change. It's true. Except there's a new president.

17. You never get bored of gloating about your new life. Well, do you think I'd be living in a $1.4 million apartment on a teacher's salary in the States??

18. You plan less and do more. SO true. You also care less about what other people think. You aren't concerned with the latest trends and can't be bothered to redecorate your place to keep up with the Jones'.

19. You turn up late but are often early. No one is ever on time.

20. You’ve attended countless leaving parties for friends who ‘went back’. Next weekend, there are 4 parties.

21. Your family have stopped asking you when you’re coming home. Thank goodness.

22. Home is where you are now. :)

No comments: