Sunday, May 08, 2011

Oops!

So I completely erased the template to my blog because I'm an idiot. So then I just started from scratch and made this one. Blah.

I guess I should actually write a post now. We went to Penang last weekend for a 3 day weekend. (May Day is a Labor Day-type of holiday here) Pulau Penang is a little island in Malaysia about an hour flight from Singapore. It's known for a few things....

Georgetown- shop houses from the colonial days. We have these in Singapore, but I still like taking pictures of them. I like the colors and the "oldness". Even with all the new buildings and skyscrapers, there are rows and rows of little shop houses from another era.
Nice beach.
The Butterfly Farm and National Park where we hiked.
We stumbled upon a bridal photo session. The photographers started throwing out seeds and bread to get a massive amount of pigeons, then the bride would pose, and someone would start running at the pigeons to get them to fly away. The photo would be a picture of her with pigeons flying all around her with a temple in the background. It looked pretty cool, except that there were pigeons in the picture. Gross. Maybe doves or something less disgusting would have been a better idea.
The temples, churches and mosques. We have all of this in Singapore, but it's still nice to see new temples. This dragon had a sign next to him that said "Foreigners are not allowed to roll the balls in the dragon's mouth." I swear that's what it said. If you look closer, there are baseball size cement balls in his mouth. Maybe you're supposed to roll the balls for good luck or something?

It was a nice 3 day weekend. After a 4th day there, I might have gotten a little bored. There are so many new places that are just an hour flight from Singapore and perfect for long weekends. i think we've got 4 or 5 long weekends next year so I'm sure we'll explore those new places.

No comments: