Saturday, April 27, 2013

more books.

Not baby books.... but here is an update of books I've read the past few months...
This book was super weird. And not in a good way. I read this around the same time as the Newtown murders and I couldn't help but think of how this book is about this weird loner just like that crazy guy. To be honest, I didn't really like it. 

You've probably considered quitting your job and traveling for a year, or maybe you've done it. More and more people are doing this. O and I talk about where we would go and what we would do in a year. I think the main thing would be being able to go to different regions of the world at the "ideal" time of year. Being able to go trek Nepal in October, avoiding all the monsoon seasons, etc. This couple quits their jobs, packs their bags and heads off to explore the world and all it's culture and get out of their comfort zone. First stop, Fiji. Wait, what the what? You're first stop is Fiji? Wow, super lame. Next stop, New Zealand. Come on! Explore! Isn't that the point of your wander year? While Fiji and NZ seem amazing and I can't wait to visit both places, they are places I will take my young kids because they are EASY and COMFORTABLE. The book was incredibly disappointing, although well written and at least short, they purposely avoid India because they "aren't ready for that kind of culture shock".  Come on! I want to hear about all your crazy adventures and how you had so many amazing experiences you would never expect. The most annoying thing was that they packed everything they needed into their 2 big backpacks and then also brought 3 suitcases. Don't say you're backpacking when you aren't. Thank God, the book was less than $3 on the Kindle. 


 LOVED this book! Amazing story, and sooo well written. Read this book. It's unbelievable that this is a true story. A must read!

As I've mentioned before, I love Peter Moore's books. He's the "traveler's traveler". So he wrote this after The Full Moctezuma where he travels around Central America with the GND(girl next door). A hilarious book that highlights the highs and lows of traveling with a new love for the first time. Obviously that didn't go well, and he's left broken hearted and decides to go to Africa. He goes from Cape Town to Cairo mostly overland. Having been to many of these places, it sparks lots of memories. A fun read, as always expected from Peter Moore. 

Another Peter Moore- maybe one of his first books? Not sure. He has been living in London and decides to head home to Australia overland. Can he do it? You have to read to find out if he can make it to Australia overland through some very tricky border crossings. I especially liked his description of Singapore. One of my favorite Peter Moore books. 

Well, you had my attention with the title alone. Western woman living in the middle east? Gotta read it. Also, it was less than $5 on the Kindle. This chick goes to live in Saudi back in the 80s and has to deal with all the extreme sexism and crazy religious laws. I enjoyed her perspective and I think I would have felt the same emotions seeing the injustice towards women and wanting to change it rather than just accept it as "part of their culture". She befriends several Saudi women and tries to help them change their social situations. They are very frightened to speak up, but a few do. Which leads me to her next book....

While living in Saudi, she befriends one of the princesses and writes her biography hoping to help improve the lives of women there by telling their stories. I loved this book as well. However, it hasn't helped my rage every time I see a lady dressed in full burka next to her husband who is in a singlet and board shorts. There are 2 more books about her life and the lives of other Saudi women which I can't wait to read. Highly recommend. 

No comments: