Last week I went to visit my grandad in his nursing home. His dementia is completely random so I would be sitting next to him for about 20 minutes and then he looked over and said, "Hey, Missy, I didn't recognize you." And sometimes he knew exactly who I was and asked questions about my class and stuff. But even with his mind going, it was great to know that his sarcastic personality is still intact. Case in point:
On Sunday morning, we all gathered in the lobby for a church service. We are all sitting around as the pianist is playing a few old hymns for the prelude. Then this half dressed lady who is grunting loudly and dancing around in her t-shirt starts to "perform" next to the piano. My grandad points to her and says, "look at THAT lady! She's craaaazy! I hope they give her a solo." During the sermon about 90% of the "congregation" is asleep so fortunately my mom blended right in. She's known to take naps during my dad's preaching, so this was pretty standard for her. Also, my grandad has been known to be a "ladies' man" which has not changed since he's been there. He has about 7 girlfriends and they all came over to flirt in their wheelchairs and 2 of them saved him a bib for lunch. I guess that's how you flirt when you get to be that old.
Also, his roommate, Dr. Hill, would constantly be screaming one of 2 things. "I need a catheter!!" or "I can't pee!" repeatedly. Apparently this had been going on for weeks and my grandad never noticed or said anything about it until the day I got there and said "This guy won't shut up. I think he lost his mind."
It was good to see him even though we had the same conversation about 3 times. Also, it was good to see my parents and eat 24,000 calories at Cracker Barrel.
No comments:
Post a Comment